Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Striving to Be a Modern Renaissance Man - Thoughts, Theories, & Independent Deliberation

I Love the Idea of Being a Modern Polymath

Welcome to my blog, "Dayton's Contemplations." For those of you wondering, Polymath is a much easier to spell synonym for the term "Renaissance Man." I take the general meaning of Renaissance Man, as one who has a wide variety of learning in many areas. I also modernize the term in that I don't believe art and science alone should make a well rounded Polymath, but certainly other fields of study are just as important.

What I wanted with this blog is a place where I can write about ideas not being covered anywhere else, jump from topic to topic, and hopefully meet other people as varied and interesting (do I dare hope, as weird?) as I am. I'm a firm believer that now more than ever education is far too niched and the world needs people who can think independently and discuss new and old ideas, and be willing to change their position based on new knowledge.

Being "right" is not only arguably impossible, but it really isn't all it's cracked up to be. Anyway, there will be future posts in the future. Thanks for visiting my blog, and comments are always welcome. Here's to the future of becoming modern Renaissance Men (and women)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to return the favor and post a comment to one of your blogs as you did mine not to long ago.

I, as well, have a varied and multifaceted view of things and have worked enough various jobs from fast food to retail to truck driver to customer service, etc. to potentially be called, as you put it, a "Polymath."

I also agree with your point on education being to niched and feel like students aren't encouraged to think anymore; they're just supposed to regurgitate cold hard facts spoon fed them by professors that tend to be exceedingly liberal.

As far as ability to change position based on new knowledge; well, does converting from being a Pentecostal Minister to being a Neo-Pagan Universalist with Wiccan influences count? :)