Monday, June 23, 2008

Sweet - "Turn the Page" Takes Place in Iowa!

The Little Details You Don't Think About in College


I have long been a huge Bob Seger fan, and my friends and I listened to that CD over and over during the college years and beyond. The biggest argument we all had was over which Seger song was best. My vote was always with "Turn the Page" with "Beautiful Loser" a close second. My brother is so adamant about "Beautiful Loser" being the most important that we've almost come to blows over this argument.

Nothing against "Hollywood Hills," "Still the Same," "Against the Wind," or "Like a Rock," or against the two more mainstream Seger songs: "Main Street" and "Old Time Rock n' Roll." Bob Seger will always be one of my favorite artists, but I always related best to the haunting emotional toil of "Turn the Page," to the lyrics that suggested quiet anger, not belonging, the need to back down from an impossible fight that you should fight, about life and the confusion no one ever warns you about.

Having spent many years in Iowa, and having gone to college there (at Coe College, not U of I), so after listening to this song hundreds of times, it amazes me that for years I missed a basic fact: which is that this song logically takes place in Iowa.

Based on an early line: "On a lonely lonesome highway, east of Omaha..." Well immediately east of Omaha is Iowa, and the highways in the western part of the state can be extremely lonely and quiet. So my favorite song's setting is Iowa. That is cool.

And that is my random thought for the day.

Topics coming soon:
  1. Is 007 James Bond a modern Renaissance Man?
  2. The amazing worlds of dystopian work
  3. 20 cult classic must see movies for college students who want to be part of the "cult culture" or "counter culture."

No comments: